Landmark Designation Application Process

Designation of Landmarks or Historic Districts of the Marbletown Heritage Preservation Law permits any individual or organization to initiate a request for the designation of a property in Marbletown as a landmark, or a group of properties in Marbletown as an historic district.

summary of the Marbletown Heritage Preservation Law is available for those interested in designating a property. If pursuing designation, it is advisable to read the complete description of the Law available under Town Code, Chapter 128.

To begin the application process, please complete the Preliminary Designation Application and submit it to the Town Clerk. The Commission will review the application at its scheduled meeting. If accepted, you will be required to submit a completed Marbletown Landmark Application with a $50 application fee. Should your Landmark Application be accepted, the Commission will set a hearing date, notify you, and publish the notice of hearing in the Kingston Daily Freeman.

For help in completing the Marbletown Landmark Designation Application, please refer to the instructions provided in the National Register Bulletin.

Before the Code Enforcement Officer can issue a building permit to the owner of a landmarked property, an application must be submitted to the Historic Preservation Commission for review. If accepted, the Commission will issue an Application for a Certificate of Appropriateness to the owner for submission to the Building Department so that the project can move forward under the standard code enforcement procedures.

The Marbletown Historic Preservation Commission is comprised of members whose qualifications are outlined in the Qualifications for Historic Preservation Commission Members. Marbletown welcomes residents who are interested to apply.

For information regarding tax credits available for landmarked properties in Marbletown, please see the Rehabilitation Tax Credit Programs information.

For information about sources of funding for historic preservation, please visit the Preservation Assistance page on the NYS Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website.