Our History

History of Marbletown, NY

The Town of Marbletown was settled as early as 1669, but did not receive its patent until the 25th of June, 1703. The patent was granted by Col. Henry Beekman, Capt. Thomas Garton and Capt. Charles Brodhead in trust for the inhabitants. The trustees continued to be elected annually, until 1808.

By 1672,there were fifty-three houses on the site of the village of Marbletown, most of them log dwellings. The surface of the town was hilly upland, broken by valleys and streams. The Esopus flows through the northern part, while the Rondout runs through the southeast corner with a fall at High Falls. The town, like the county, was changing as a part for Olive was removed in 1823, and a part for Rosendale was removed in 1844.

The men who applied for land in 1703 were Capt. Richard Brodhead, John Cock Senior, Moses DuPuy, Jeremy Kittle, Jr., Loondert Kool, William Nottingham, Gysbert Roosa, Thomas Van derMark and Richard Wilson. Of the pre-Revolutionary houses now standing in Ulster County, the one at Stone Ridge, known as the Wynkoop Lounsbery house, was built in or before 1772 by Cornelius E. Wynkoop, Major of the Minutemen. He was born March 4, 1746, died September 19, 1795, aged 49 years, was buried by the "new" church at Marbletown. On August 22, 1766, he was married to Cornelia Mancius, minister of the First Dutch Reformed Church of Kingston. General Washington spent the night here before going on to Hurley for reception.

After the burning of Kingston in 1777 the courts were held for a time at Marbletown, in the house of Johannis Tack, which is diagonally opposite the Wyncoop-Lounsbery house. At this time it was a public tavern.

The Council of Safety fled to Marbletown on October 19, three days after the invasion of Kingston. They resumed their sessions at the house of Andrew Oliver. After being there a month, they removed to Hurley on the 18th of November, meeting at the house of Captain Jan Van Deusen until the 17th when they adjourned to Poughkeepsie.

In 1672 we had fifty-three houses in the Town of Marbletown; in 1870 our population was four thousand, two hundred twenty four. The assessed valuation of $698,825.00 on 30, 146 acres. In the 1980 census our population was four thousand nine hundred fifty-six and five thousand eight hundred fifty-four in the year 2000.

Marbletown Today

The Town of Marbletown is located in the central portion of Ulster County on the eastern edge of the Catskills and the northern edge of the Shawangunk Mountains. Marbletown today encompasses 54.9 square miles and is bordered by the Towns of Hurley, Olive, Rochester, New Paltz and Rosendale.

Marbletown’s scenic landscape, mountain views and abundant farmland help define its rural character. The Town is rich in architectural heritage, boasting four nationally registered historic districts. Historic homes, churches, restaurants, farm stands, retail shops, alternative and traditional health care providers, a canal museum, a library, and a performing arts center can all be found in the commercial hamlets of High Falls and Stone Ridge.

Outdoor recreational facilities include the O&W Rail Trail and the Marbletown Town Park where kids play organized sports and enjoy summer camp, and where residents make use of the pavilion, playground, and the Esopus Creek beach. In High Falls, the history of the Delaware and Hudson Canal can be appreciated via a stroll along the Five Locks Walk. Programs for children, teens, adults and senior citizens are offered year-round at the Marbletown Community Center on Main Street in Stone Ridge.

Marbletown is part of the Rondout Valley Central School district, and is home to Ulster County Community College, a two-year SUNY college providing undergraduate and continuing education on a state-of-the-art campus.

Today's citizens range from newly arrived weekenders to long time local residents, all of whom are encouraged to participate in local government and community affairs. The Town's seven fire companies and a first aid unit are staffed by volunteers, and volunteer committees and boards play a key role in both preserving the past and shaping the future of the community they treasure.